Most of the time, people ignore dental problems. If dental problems left untreated it can cause severe complications or damage to dental health. So, it is advisable to take appropriate care of oral hygiene to prevent dental problems. However, sometimes it is unavoidable to have dental problems. If you understand the underlying cause of the problem, you can treat the problem at home as well. Have a look at the common dental problems which can be treated by yourself in the early stage.
#1. Teeth Sensitivity
Teeth sensitivities one of the most common dental problems among adults. When enamel (the outermost layer of the tooth) is damaged, teeth become sensitive and painful. The main causes of this problem include;
- Using a hard toothbrush
- Regularly consuming acidic foods and drinks
- Teeth grinding
- Brushing too hard
If you take appropriate preventive measures at home, sensitive teeth can be treated at home.
- Saltwater – as effective antiseptic salt water is essential to reduce pain for the most dental problems. Gargle with warm salt water rinse twice daily will soothe the pain because of the sensitivity.
- Desensitizing toothpaste- it is the foremost remedy one should opt for in case of teeth sensitivity. It helps to shield nerve endings from irritants
- Fluoride Mouthwash – Flouride contained toothpaste or mouthwash is highly recommended as it strengthens enamel. It also reduces toothache to a large extent.
#2. Enamel degradation
Over time, due to acidic food or poor dental hygiene, enamel erosion or degradation occurs. The common causes of enamel erosion include;
- dry mouth or low salivary flow
- Acid reflux disease
- Excessive consumption of soft drinks
- High sugar and starch diet
- Certain medications
- When you want to avoid enamel erosion or take preventive measures at home, follow these remedies;
- Use a straw while drinking soft drinks. It will help to avoid the acidic substance to come in contact with teeth.
- Rinse your mouth shortly after eating acidic food or beverages.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and prevent dry mouth
Toothache is the first sign of having a dental problem. The pain in or around a tooth caused by various reasons such as;
- A damaged filling
- Tooth decay
- Infected gums
- Dental injuries
- Abscessed tooth
Although the causes of a toothache may vary, it can be not be treated at home but some hime remedies can help you temporarily until you can see the dentist.
However, the basic remedies to treat the pain are as follows;
- Saltwater – as a natural antiseptic, it is the first-line treatment in many dental problems. The saltwater rinse not only soothes the pain but also reduces inflammation.
- Cold compress – it helps to reduce the pain, especially caused by trauma. The blood vessels constrict while you apply cold compress which soothes the pain.
- Clove oil – it contains eugenol (a natural antiseptic substance). Clove oil is an effective way to numb the pain and reduce inflammation.
#4. Dry mouth
Dry mouth or xerostomia occurs when salivary glands do not produce enough saliva to keep the mouth wet. The common reasons for this dental problem may include;
- Certain medication
- Nerve damage
Depending on the cause the problem of dry mouth can be treated. But, you can follow these remedies to control this dental problem;
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated
- Avoid caffeine
- Limit alcohol
- Reduce sugar intake
- Improve overall oral care
- Avoid breathing through the mouth
#5. Tooth Decay
Tooth decay or cavities occur when bacteria in the mouth produce acid that attacks the enamel. If it is not treated at an early stage it can lead to tooth loss. Here are the common cause of tooth decay;
- Poor dental hygiene
- Dry mouth
- Sugary food and drink
- Poor nutritive diet
Though tooth decay is a serious dental problem, it can be prevented before actual cavities happen. By following certain remedies you can also prevent tooth decay.
- Maintain oral hygiene. Brush with a fluoride toothpaste twice a day.
- Limit sugary food and beverages. If you consume such food, do not forget to gargle right after eating such food.
- Include nutritious food in your diet like calcium-rich food, nuts, green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, etc.
As these are the most common dental problems which can easily be prevented and treated at home, do visit a dentist to avoid further complications. Experts advice is always better than keep practicing remedies at home.
Nonetheless, you can fix most of the dental issues at home with the appropriate preventive measures. Depending on the problem and cause you should opt for the remedies. If you are unsure about a remedy, consult your dentist.
In most instances, good oral hygiene, proper brushing techniques, and a healthy diet are essential to prevent certain dental problems. However, some of the dental problems should not be treated at home. For that, you should consult your dentist right away. Also, regular dental checkups are essential to staying from dental problems or diseases. If you want to get any dental treatment, visit our dental office in Roswell, GA. At TruCare dentistry, you will get the best dental treatment only from the experts. Book your appointment today!