Maintaining proper oral hygiene is essential for the overall health and well-being of an individual. Bad teeth and gums can cause dental issues that prevail for a long time, further discomforting. Many people turn to regular visits at the dentist’s clinic to keep their teeth and gums in good condition. A small problem in the mouth can affect the rest of the body. For instance, gum disease is connected to many health-related issues such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
Poor oral health and poor state of teeth can negatively impact levels of confidence in patients. This blog will see how oral health affects people’s confidence and how visiting a dentist can help them overcome such issues.
What are oral health conditions?
As per World Health Organization (WHO), oral condition indicates overall health and well-being. The poor oral condition can lead to numerous diseases and conditions like tooth loss, periodontal (gum) disease, dental caries, oral cancer, oro-dental trauma, nomo, and birth defects like palate and cleft lip. As per a report by Global Burden of Disease Study 2017, about 3.5 billion people worldwide are affected by oral diseases. Also, according to a report by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, cancers of the oral cavity and lip are among the top most common cancers that affect people around the world, leading to around 1,80,000 deaths every year.
One more worrisome thing about oral health-related conditions is that most oral diseases comprise modifiable risk factors that may lead to non-communicable diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular diseases, chronic respiratory diseases, diabetes, etc. All these risk factors increase due to excess consumption of alcohol, tobacco, and an unhealthy diet. To avoid such conditions, it is vital to maintain healthy teeth and gums. People must employ healthy oral hygiene habits like brushing and flossing every day and limiting sugar consumption. This will help in preventing long-term health issues and expensive dental procedures.
How do oral health conditions arise?
The key reason behind poor oral health is that many people take their oral care very lightly. They think that oral care is just about their teeth, and they can easily replace them if they face any issues. However, it is not true. As mentioned above, oral health is linked with overall health and well-being. Many oral procedures like new teeth or implants are available nowadays, which may be very painful if not treated on time.
According to several dentists worldwide, the most common issue their patients face related to oral health is gum disease. They complain of bleeding gums, bad breath, and misplaced teeth and gums. The gaps between the teeth result in food packing. Moreover, swelling, pain, and infections are other common gum problems in patients. Gum diseases also link with the increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, strokes, Alzheimer’s, arthritic, depression, and others. Also, periodontitis can cause bacteria to spread to other parts of the body and lead to cardiovascular disease and pneumonia. These diseases are a drain on the physical and mental resources, eventually resulting in diminished confidence levels.
How do these conditions badly affect the confidence and mental health of patients?
- They feel conscious about their appearance and keep their mouth covered most of the time. This is because they worry about their awful teeth condition or bad breath.
- The consciousness related to their appearance further prevents patients from smiling in front of others.
- Many patients also complain of blood coming out of their teeth or gums, especially while brushing or eating something hard.
- Some also face the issue of food packing in their teeth. Every time they have to remove the food stuck in their teeth.
- Many suffer from sensitive teeth. Due to this sensitivity issue, they need to eat only soft foods while compromising their favorite food.
- Because of bad breath problems, many patients avoid kissing their partners to stay away from the situation of embarrassment.
Due to all the above-mentioned problems, many patients feel worried and unwell most of the time. Adopting healthy oral care habits can help you keep your teeth and gums in healthy condition in the long term and avoid a disease coming back. Some of the essential tips for patients include:
- Visit a dentist frequently for a regular dental checkup. If diagnosed with an issue, start proper treatment immediately.
- Use good quality products that are clinically proven to prevent gum disease and are safe to use.
- Adopt long-term healthy habits for good oral health. These habits include proper brushing of teeth, flossing, mouthwash after eating, and a healthy diet.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking can badly affect the oral health of patients. Therefore, it is important to make patients aware of smoking’s effects on teeth and gums.
- Know about the importance of including a healthy, plant-rich diet in their daily lifestyle. A diet that is full of antioxidants can help to keep oral health in good condition.
Oral health plays an important role in keeping us healthy and confident. We just need to implement good oral care habits in our life to keep our teeth and gums healthy and strong. Also, a frequent visit to a professional dentist can help detect any issue early. Stay healthy and Keep smiling!